Youth represent a substantial part of the membership of Red Cross for its humanitarian commitment. Young volunteers can make a significant contribution to meeting the needs of the most vulnerable people within their local communities through Red Cross youth programme. This has been designed to involve young people as much as possible in the movement and its activities not only as workers and also as beneficiaries, but as partners in management.
Objective of YRC:
- To act in case of armed conflict and in peace to prepare to act in all the fields covered by the Geneva Conventions within the scope of International Humanitarian Law and on behalf of all war victims, both civilian and military.
- To contribute to the improvement of health, the prevention of disease and maternity and child care in the community.
- To educate the population on how to prepare for and respond to disasters.
- To organize emergency relief services for the victims of disasters and mitigation of their suffering.
- To promote the participation of children and youth in the work of the Red Cross.
- To promote the Fundamental Principles of the Movement and the International Humanitarian Law in order to inculcate humanitarian ideals among the population, and in particular among children and youth.
- To recruit, train and develop volunteers/personnel as necessary for undertaking humanitarian responsibilities.
- To serve the community within its jurisdiction, the state branch may initiate activities to address local needs and priorities as approved by the Managing Body of the branch.
- To ensure correct use of the Red Cross emblem, to maintain its protective value.
Principles of YRC:
- Blood Donation Camp
- AIDS Awareness Camp
- Medical Camp
- Cancer Awareness Camp
- Eye camp
- Road safety Awareness Camp
- First Aid Camp.
Service to others
- Organization of Blood grouping and donation camps with the help of Blood Bank Officers. The report of such camps should be sent to University Coordinator.
- A directory of blood donors in the college may be brought out and given to hospitals and service organization.
- Render help and assistance to the needy and meritorious handicap students (such as the blind) of the Colleges.
- Organize 5 days or 10 days training camps of Youth Red Cross near the College in the holidays.
- Organize short duration (one day, two days or three days) specific Service Programmes / camps during local fairs and festivals.
- Tree plantation and afforestation.
- Create awareness for development of diary, poultry, piggery, fishery, beekeeping, mushroom cultivation etc.
- Save the environment for pollution.
- Education on population control.
- Observance of World Health Day, Blood Donation Day, World Red Cross Day etc. as would be instructed by the YRC Headquarters.
Prof. V. CHINNASAMY, M.Sc., M.Phil.,
Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry,
Shanmuga Industries Arts and Science College,
Tiruvannamalai – 606 601.
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org